SSB 3159 VIDEO

carlolsen

SSB 3159 VIDEO

Post by carlolsen »

Iowa Senate Study Bill 3159
A bill for an act providing for the regulation of hemp and hemp products, providing penalties, and making penalties applicable.

Subcommittee members: Dawson-CH, Knox, Zaun
Date: Monday, February 12, 2024
Time: 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeMewl21eYk
EagleRidgeHemp

Re: SSB 3159 VIDEO

Post by EagleRidgeHemp »

First, thank you Carl for posting these videos. I have to say I'm disappointed in the lack of comments and discussion here. That being said, after watching this I am even more confused than before. I have even more questions and wonder why nothing is being clarified in these committee meetings. Btw, I am a licensed grower and manufacturer based in Iowa. I was born and raised in Iowa and have spent most of my adult life here, but the way Iowa is going, I may be moving to Minnesota.
Why are hemp growers and manufacturers required to make public COA's and the Iowa medical program does not? Are they required to test for 60 different chemicals, toxins and heavy metals for every batch? Where can I read the rules for them? Why is the medical program selling products for inhalation and hemp growers are seeing the penalties significantly increased for even the slightest infraction and the raw agricultural product, flower, is being made illegal to sell? Does anybody remember when cbd was first made legal in Iowa? It was for children with epilepsy. Where are the mothers that got that legislation passed? Iowa needs them again. When they get pissed and motivated, things get done!
Who are the "bad actors" that everybody is talking about and why is everybody avoiding naming them? When I brought up the issue of retailers selling hemp products that were not being tested per Iowa requirements (that Iowa manufacturers are definitely checked for) with the DIA in 2020, I was yelled at and told they did not have the man power to check everybody. LOL, really? For the fees that are being charged to be registered and licensed?
They definitely make sure that Iowa manufacturers are following ALL the rules. I could go on and on with issues and problems with the Iowa program that are simply being ignored by the enforcement agencies. I would start another thread if I thought there would actually be interaction and discussion.
As for this legislation, I am not optimistic. I don't see that legislators are actually educated about it or are open to being educated. Its evident to me from watching this video and I would further encourage everybody to go watch the videos from the floor on the vote for the IHA, the legislators are ill informed if not just confused or being purposefully led astray. One gentleman was equating hemp seed oil to CBD oil extracted from flower(same as any essential oil, e.g. lavender oil)I think this is just political theater to avoid the topic and more legislation is not the solution. One of the speakers pointed out the fallacy of the poison control center numbers for calls concerning cbd/thc and how the numbers compare to other substances. It's just simply fear mongering. The biggest problem I have with this bill and also previous hemp bills, is the open ended addition of rules by the involved departments, with no explanation or transparency of this rule making process. If in fact the state police are behind the authoring of this legislation it is very disappointing and I can only infer that they are stuck on the stigmatization from past propaganda and have no basis in science or factual data. Many states around Iowa have passed laws much more progressive than Iowa, while Iowa seems to be going backwards. Please, somebody make it make sense.
Don't republicans say that they are for smaller government? Yet here they are constantly advocating for further government restrictions and control of a plant. Everybody keeps calling it a drug, but in fact that would be the 3 pharmaceuticals named by senator Dawson that the FDA is using as a reason to further criminalize a plant. At the same time meth and fentanyl are out of control and receiving far less scrutiny than cannabis. Very, very frustrating to say the least. Its 2024 people!!! Love and respect to all those trying to move this forward.
Matm
Site Admin

Post by Matm »

Jody, thanks for your input, it is valuable. I’ve been hearing about these bad actors too and I do know Despensary in Des Moines did lose their retail registration for 30 days for selling THCa flower. If you ask them they say they didn’t know it wasn’t allowed and it was an administrative misunderstanding between them and HHS. I’ve also heard a roomer of an Iowa hemp farmer using their biomass as a cover to distribute marijuana. That seems far fetched considering the BM marijuana prices are in the toilet and it probably costs more to grow hemp in Iowa than the money made by selling mj. I put this site together as a place for people involved in the industry to share their experiences especially their interaction with the state. Unfortunately I think there are no more than 5 people in the state that are involved in extraction.

I always had good communication with DIA when they ran the program even though they didn’t have a lot of answers. Now that HHS has it there is no communication and when I communicate with them they refuse to give their name so I have no idea who I’m communicating with.

I will work to put new topics and boards here. I am also researching the enforcement actions the state is taking on bad actors. I will try to reach out to these people and see if they would like to share their side of the story.
Mat
carlolsen

Post by carlolsen »

I'm not sure what the administrative rules for testing medical cannabidiol products are. Here is a link to the chapter, but I haven't read all of it.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/law/administ ... 02-07-2024
carlolsen

Post by carlolsen »

I posted a link to the old administrative rules for the medical cannabidiol act. Here are the new ones.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/publica ... /7360C.pdf
EagleRidgeHemp

Post by EagleRidgeHemp »

I just spent several hours trying to find this information. I found a flowchart( https://hhs.iowa.gov/media/9179/download?inline) that suggests testing is being done and the process(SOP) is supposed to be on the HHS website, but I could not find it. Specific testing requirements and COA's are nowhere to be found. The required intake form(https://hhs.iowa.gov/media/9180/download?inline=) lists general groups of contaminants to be tested, but the link on page 3 which would appear to list more specifics is broken. Like I mentioned above, if this exists it does not appear to be public information. It could be that it is just very difficult to find. My point was that hemp manufacturers info is all public and we are required to post COA's, including contaminant testing on our websites.
carlolsen

Post by carlolsen »

I have been unable to find information that was previously available on the department's website, and was told the state government reorganization is responsible. Entire websites are being reconstructed. Here is an example:

https://hhs.iowa.gov/cannabis-regulation-0

You can see there is nothing on that page. It should be two programs, cannabidiol and consumable hemp.

At any rate, the cannabidiol program has a page and a contact email address. Try that.

https://hhs.iowa.gov/programs/programs- ... l-cannabis

medical.cannabidiol@idph.iowa.gov